January 2016 Session Actions
(as of January 16, 2016)
Voted to approve the examination and ordination and installation of Carol Keister as Deacon.
Voted to approve the examination and installation of Crist Fellman as Trustee.
Voted to approve the examination and installation of Wayne Frye as Elder.
Voted to approve a Called Session Meeting for the examination of three officers-elect on January 10, 2016, at 10:35 A.M.
Voted to approve the examination and installation of Dan Davis as Trustee.
Voted to approve the examination and installation of Molly Grove as Elder.
Voted to approve the examination and installation of Betsy Baker as Deacon.
Engaged in a study of Psalm 3.
Voted to approve and/or received the following minutes:
* Minutes of the Stated Meeting of Session held on December 13, 2015,
* Minutes from the Called Session Meetings held on December 20, 2015 and January 3, 2016, and
* Minutes from the Trustees Regular Meeting on December 21, 2015.
Reviewed the following correspondence:
* The Huntingdon Soup Kitchen acknowledging our gift in 2015 of $441.75, and
* The Presbyterian Mission Agency (PMA) acknowledging the W.E. Stewart Missionary Society (our Mission Team) gift of $100.00 for Missionary Support (to be matched by PMA).
Reviewed the following Statistics:
* Communion Service on January 3, 2016 with 67 being served,
* The Baptism of Maria Audrey Hershey, daughter of Curtis Alan, Jr. and Sheri Ann (Lindsey) Hershey on December 20, 2015, and
* The Ordination and Installation of the following 2016 Officers occurred on January 3, 2016:
* Wayne Frye was installed as Elder,
* Carol Keister was ordained and installed as Deacon, and
* Crist Fellman was installed as Trustee.
Voted to approve the following Financial Reports as presented:
* The Trust Treasurer’s Report for November 2015,
* The Church Treasurer’s Report for December 2015,
* The Benevolence Offering for December being $370.00, and
* The Total Benevolence Offering for 2016 being $3,845.00,
* The Christmas Joy Offering being $269.00,
* The Christmas Eve Offering for the J.V. Ministerium Heating Assistance Program being $598.75, and
* The Poinsettia Mission Gift for the Food Pantry being $561.49.
Reviewed Pastor Walls’ Pastoral Services for the Sinking Valley Presbyterian Church.
Voted for Molly Grove to be Chairperson of the Christian Education Committee (CEC).
Voted to have the CEC insure that the Church School Classes are using age-appropriate teaching material, beginning with the Second Quarter of 2016.
Voted for Robert Thompson to be Chairman of the Worship Committee.
Voted for Carol Patterson and Barbara Grove to serve as Co-Chairpersons of the Evangelism and Fellowship Committee (FC).
Voted to have a traditional Watch-Night Service in 2016.
Voted to have a Potluck Dinner after the Congregational Meeting on January 24, 2016, with the FC dealing with the details.
Voted to have a Community Ash Wednesday Service, as part of the Juniata Valley Ministerium’s 2016 Lenten Services, February 10, 2016 at 7:00 P.M., and to extend an invitation to the Sinking Valley Presbyterian Church, with light refreshments to be planned for and provided by the FC.
Voted to schedule the 2016 Combined Board Meeting on February 14, with the FC to arrange for pizza and drinks for lunch and for Wendy LeCrone to prepare a salad.
Voted to have a Birthday Dinner and Winter Picnic on March 6 at noontime.
Voted to have Wendy LeCrone plan the Palm Sunday Breakfast on March 20, 2016, at 9:30 A.M.
Voted for Wendy LeCrone and Wayne Frye to be Co-Chairpersons of the Stewardship and Interpretation Committee (SIC).
Voted to receive the W. E. Stewart Missionary Society’s (WESMS) December Report.
Voted to approve the docket for the Winter Congregational Meeting on January 24, 2016, 12:15 P.M., for the purposes of receiving financial reports and the auditors’ report, voting on the recommendation to move to a Unicameral Board, and the review of pastoral services provided to the Sinking Valley Presbyterian Church.
Voted to elect the following officers to serve in 2016:
* Charles Grove as Church Treasurer,
* Michael Christy as Trust Treasurer, and
* Pearl LeCrone as Clerk of Session.
Voted to approve a Soup Sale, to be coordinated by Molly Grove, with orders to be taken on February 21 and 28, and delivery on March 6.
Voted to schedule the 2016 Treasure Trove on April 21, 22 and 23, 2016, with Carol Patterson, Molly Grove and Dawn Wible being Co-Chairpersons, with at least 50% of the proceeds received to be designated for Meals on Wheels.
Voted to approve the following special offerings for 2016:
* Presbyterian Homes Offering for Westminster Woods on January 31,
* Souper Bowl of Caring Offering for the Huntingdon Food Pantry on February 7,
* Easter Flowers Mission Gift for the Huntingdon Soup Kitchen on March 6 through 27,
* Maundy Thursday Offering for the Huntingdon Food Pantry on March 24,
* One Great Hour of Sharing with 36% going to the Presbyterian Hunger Program, 32% going to Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, and 32% going to the Self-Development of People Program on March 20 & 27,
* Treasure Trove with at least 50% of the proceeds going to Meals on Wheels on April 21, 22, and 23,
* Backpack Summer Lunch Program for JV School District during April and May
* Gideon Offering for Gideon Placed Bibles on May 29,
* Pentecost Offering with 60% going to the Presbyterian Mission Agency and 40% going to our ministries with children at risk on May 8 and 15,
* Baby Bottle Boomerang Offering for Crossroads Pregnancy Center on June 19,
* Peace and Global Witness Offering with 25% for our Presbytery & Synod peace and mission efforts, 50% to the Presbyterian Mission Agency, and 25% for Alexandria Presbyterian Church peace and mission efforts on World Communion Sunday, October 2,
* Two Cents-a-Meal Offering for the Hunger Program of Huntingdon Presbytery on November 20,
* Thanksgiving Eve Service Offering for the Huntingdon Food Pantry on November 23,
* Poinsettia Mission Gift for the Salvation Army on December 4 through 18,
* Christmas Joy Offering with 50% going to the Assistance Program of the Board of Pensions and 50% going to racial ethnic education at Presbyterian related schools and colleges on December 11 and 18, and
* Christmas Eve Service Offering for the Juniata Valley Ministerium Heating Assistance Program on December 24.
Voted to approve the following dates for communion services:
* January 3 for Monthly Communion,
* February 7 for Monthly Communion,
* March 20 for Palm Sunday,
* March 24 for Maundy Thursday,
* April 3 for Monthly Communion,
* May 1 for Monthly Communion,
* June 5 for Monthly Communion,
* July 3 for Monthly Communion,
* August 7 for Monthly Communion,
* September 4 for Monthly Communion,
* October 2 for World Communion Sunday,
* November 20 for Christ the King Sunday, and
* December 4 for Monthly Communion.
Voted to approve a bi-monthly newsletter for our church, beginning in April, with the SC to supervise this endeavor and a call will be made to the congregation for someone to head up this project.
Voted to move the Sunday School Account to the General Church Account.
Voted to close the Youth Account with a balance of $41.62 to be transferred to the General Church Account.
Voted to discontinue the Shredding Event.
Voted to ask Mary Enders to coordinate the recycling project and to open it up to the congregation.
Voted to approve the scheduling of the next Stated Session Meeting for February 14, 2016, following the Combined Board Meeting.